Bombardier to invest in two aerospace research projects

Plane maker says it will spend $22 million into Québec-based R&D initiatives over the next three-years.

0 February 26, 2019
by DE Staff

Bombardier says it will invest a total of approximately CAD$22 million over a three-year period into two major aerospace research projects: Aéro21 and the third phase of the SA²GE project. According to the company, both projects will bring together large aerospace companies, SMEs, as well as local universities and research centres.

Aéro21 aims to facilitate the implementation of 21st century technologies in the Québec aerospace sector and is expected to generate $65 million CAD of investments over three years, the company says. Bombardier’s participation will focus on expanding the use of computerized models to test various aircraft systems and components from the design phase through certification. In total, 24 companies will be providing 75% of the funds for Aéro21, including $18.75 million CAD from Bombardier. The Government of Québec will be investing the remaining 25%.

First launched in 2010, SA²GE (Smart Affordable Green Efficient) is focused on reducing the environmental footprint of the aerospace industry. Four subprojects were selected for the third phase of SA²GE, including one called AILE (Aile intelligente et légère pour l’environnement), which was proposed by Bombardier along with four other industry partners.

The focus of this subproject is to develop multifunctional wings for business and commercial aircraft that will optimize aerodynamics and weight to reduce cost and fuel consumption. Bombardier plans to invest $3.6 million CAD in AILE, which will be matched by the Government of Québec.
www.bombardier.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*