PTDA 2014 Industry Summit participants IMAGINE great success
Nearly 600 power transmission and motion control industry representatives from over 250 PTDA member companies attended the "Imagine" themed PTDA 2014 Industry Summit last month at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek in Orlando, FL.
“The relationships we begin, nurture and evaluate here at the Industry Summit allow us to imagine an even stronger distribution channel,” said PTDA president Ken Miko (BDI, Cleveland, OH). He continues, “In my own experience, this year’s Industry Summit just continued to reinforce the association’s mission to bring together distributors and manufacturers, working for the benefit of our mutual customers.”
PTDA Manufacturer Council chair Brian Kolman (Brewer Machine & Gear, St. Louis, MO) concurs, stating “The networking we can do at the Industry Summit – both in formal settings like MD-IDEX and in informal settings like our Industry Summit Bash – just further the value of the association and help me keep strong relationships with all of my channel partners.”
Outside of North America, international delegates attended from Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Trinidad and the United Kingdom.
Industry Summit Highlights
• Mike Ditka’s keynote, “ACE – Attitude, Character and Enthusiasm,” emphasized that goals mean nothing unless you define the methods to achieve them.
• In this year’s The Beaulieu Report, Alan Beaulieu of ITR Economics predicted a growing economy, peaking in 2016, but noted a recession is probable for 2019.
• Philippa Gamse’s workshop, “Bricks to Clicks,” advocated talking to your customers, reviewing your analytics, defining measurable outcomes and focusing on two to three key platforms to expand online business.
• Jeff Hargett explained the psychology of service epitomized by The Ritz-Carlton, detailing the basics of establishing a service culture that improves customer and employee experiences.
• Ryan Meray of C! Tech Solutions presented best IT practices and provided tips on how to economically achieve the goals of increasing employee productivity, efficiency and ensuring the safety and security of company data.
• Mindi Hertzog of the Orlando U.S. Export Assistance Center informed attendees how to address international orders and export products with confidence.
• In a workshop developed by the PTDA Next Gen Task Force specifically for emerging leaders, Mitch Bouchard of General Bearing Service Inc. and dozens of others shared their stories of gaining the respect of their peers as a leader.
• PTDA Next Gen Task Force members also coordinated small groups of those new to social media in building effective, business-oriented digital footprints in the hands-on Social Media Learning Lab.
• A charity walk organized by PTDA spouses and companions raised $1,850 for the Lupus Foundation of America. In addition, through Operation Military Kids and with funding from Industry Summit registrants, 140 backpacks were filled with school supplies, crafts, stuffed animals and toys and presented to children of parents called into active duty by the National Guard and Army Reserve.
• PTDA member companies pledged over $57,000 in contributions to the PTDA Foundation, supporting the work of the Industrial Careers Pathway.
The Industry Summit’s signature event, the Manufacturer-Distributor Idea Exchange (MD-IDEX), each year efficiently brings together existing and potential channel partners to strategically plan for the upcoming year. Nearly 120 manufacturers exhibited at MD-IDEX in 2014, and the program featured close to 700 meetings through pre-scheduled appointments and open times.
PTDA Industry Summit Bash
Participants capped off their experience by boarding motor coaches, escorted by the Orlando Police, as they headed toward an unforgettable night of networking – with PTDA-exclusive access to a huge bash covering three different clubs at Universal CityWalk at the Universal Orlando Resort. Then, to continue the fun, the party moved on to Marvel Super Hero Island® at Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park.
Looking to 2015
PTDA’s 2015 Industry Summit will be held on October 21-24, 2015 at the Hilton Chicago in PTDA’s hometown of Chicago.
About the PTDA Industry Summit
Attended by top-level decision makers from leading distribution and manufacturing firms, the PTDA Industry Summit provides a unique mix of educational sessions on industry trends and offers distributor-manufacturer meetings and peer networking forums. It is designed to help distributors and manufacturers work together to move their companies and the industry forward. Keynote and education sessions help attendees grow their businesses and bottom lines by focusing on using existing capabilities and careful planning to tap into new markets and capture new opportunities.
The Power Transmission Distributors Association (PTDA) is the leading global association for the industrial power transmission/motion control (PT/MC) distribution channel. Headquartered in Chicago, PTDA represents power transmission/motion control distribution firms that generate more than $16 billion in sales and span over 3,400 locations. PTDA members also include manufacturers that supply the PT/MC industry.
PTDA is dedicated to providing exceptional networking, targeted education, relevant information and leading-edge business tools to help distributors and manufacturers meet marketplace demands competitively and profitably. For more information, call +1.312.516.2100, visit www.ptda.org or follow us at @PTDAorg.