Streamlining Machine Design
May 9, 2023 at
Increase throughput and time to market by replacing traditional conveyors with intelligent transport systems
Top 3 reasons on how Beckhoff intelligent transport systems can benefit you
- Increase throughput with individual movements
• Reduce downtime by moving individual products to stations using variable speed profiles
• Production speeds are not determined by the slowest processing station
- Reduce time to market
• Greatly reduce mechanical design work by leveraging a simple and modular system
• Software replaces repeated construction of mechanical components
- Decrease machine downtime with software; not hardware
• Eliminate manual format changes by using software
• Automate to install and dismantle of different tool sets
Watch how an airbag manufacturer increased throughput using a parallel inspection process
The Beckhoff XTS linear transport system
Beckhoff offers a proven drive solution in which magnetically driven movers move along a travel path of fully integrated motor modules. An Industrial PC with the TwinCAT automation software enables the independent control of the movers with individual motion profiles. This results in many system-related benefits: The transport system is ready for operation immediately after assembly, as power electronics and displacement measurement are included in the XTS motor modules and the movers are completely passive.
Due to different geometries of the motor modules, both an open and a closed travel path can be created and the machine footprint can be reduced by individual track layouts. The XTS not only replaces conventional conveyor belts, but also enables an innovative design of the entire machine. With the flexible motion profiles, simple to highly complex processes can be realized and the entire manufacturing process can thus be optimized.
Beckhoff is a global provider of advanced and open automation solutions for many industries including manufacturing. With a PC-based control philosophy, leading manufacturers and machine builders can make great strides toward establishing meaningful Industry 4.0 practices while ensuring lean automation designs and streamlined system architectures.