Disruptive trends shaping the automation industry
October 27, 2020 at
As with the 2000 dot-com bust and the 2007-09 financial crisis, black swan events like the COVID-19 pandemic often spark a surge in automation adoption. During the eventual recovery, manufacturers inevitably weigh the ups and downs of re-staffing to pre-event levels or automating those functions that can be.
Such events also tend to accelerate industrial and business trends. For manufactures, that means shorter product lifecycles and quicker equipment deployments while also increasing productivity and OEE. For automation firms and in plant engineers, that means leveraging new technologies and/or design approaches that enable vender-neutral interoperability, a shortened design and build process and optimized manufacturing flexibility.
On October 27th at 1pm EST, Design Engineering will host a free virtual event exploring the disruptive trends transforming the machine building/system integrator industry, including:
- Plug and Produce Automation: Machine design that enables interoperability with a focus on open platforms and standards (e.g. Linux OS, IEC 61499, OPC UA/MQTT) and a move away proprietary solution lock-in.
- Modularization: Optimizing flexibility and scalability in system design via standardized, interconnectable sub-systems and platforms instead of custom designing each project from scratch.
- Democratization: Simplifying and shortening the design process via technological strategies such as codeless programming, physically “taught” cobots, comprehensive digital design tools.
Our speakers include:
- Simon Drexler, Director of LMT Products, ATS Automation
- Etienne Lacroix, Founder and CEO of Vention
- Andre Babineau, Senior operations Executive, Schneider Electric Canada
The editor of Design Engineering Canada is currently building out the agenda for the half-day event, subject to change. If you have a proposal for a session, email Mike McLeod at firstname.lastname@example.org
With Support from
Frequently Asked Questions About Disruptive trends shaping the automation industry
When & Where?Disruptive trends shaping the automation industry will take place virtually via GoToWebinar on October 27, 2020 at 1:00pm EST.
There will be a 15 minute break between live sessions.
Why Virtual?The safety and wellbeing of our employees, customers, and community is our number one priority. By making this event an online experience, it eliminates the need for attendees and sponsors to travel in-person, while enabling them to still benefit from the event content.
What’s Included?Your registration provides you with access to watch the virtual keynote, all live sessions, and on-demand recorded content and product demonstrations.
How do I access?We will email you an access link to the virtual event the morning of October 27, 2020.
If you don’t see an access link in your email inbox, please check your junk folder. If you are still unable to locate the email, contact Tara Jacobs.